Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Who Do You Love...


The way to know life is to love many things.
~~Vincent Van Gogh~~

I love a great many things. I love writing, I love my family, my friends. I even love my cats. ALL FOUR OF THEM! I'll be the Crazy Cat Lady later on in life, I'm sure of it.

I love the outdoors. I obviously love food. I love music, movies, games.

Life has been good to me for the most part. Every day has been a lesson or a struggle in lots of different senses of the words. I almost always feel like I am fighting an uphill battle, but at the end of the day, I do get to sit down with my family at dinner and reflect.

Was it a productive day? More often than not, it hasn't been very productive. That is my own fault, though. When it has been a productive day, when things have actually gotten done, I sit and enjoy the glow of satisfaction.

My favorite time of day... well I have two. It sounds very strange, but my favorite time of day is when everyone is home and sleeping. The quiet of the house is nice. My other favorite time of the day is dinnertime.

My sister-in-law introduced "Favorite part of the day" at the dinner table. My son picked it up and began doing it with us when he visited and we picked up the tradition as well. (That also happens to be my favorite tradition now.) I love listening to the conversation at my dinner table. Living with my husband, daughter and brother-in-law means having some interesting (sometimes socially unacceptable) dinner conversations. Our dinnertime tends to last at least two hours. Forget television. We do very well entertaining ourselves, thank you very much.

Personally, I like living life that way. Everything slows down at dinnertime and we get a chance to sit there and let our food digest while we enjoy the conversation. It is difficult, though, when we have friends over. We ask them to participate so as not to feel left out. There are a couple who don't participate. We know to just gloss over them now and pretty much ignore them and don't let them ruin it for us. Sounds mean, but hey, if you are going to bring your misery to MY dinner table, deal with the rudeness. Hehe!

So what do you love?

2 comments:

Jennie Bennett said...

Oh! How fun! *steals idea* I'll just be going now...
http://abookagirlajourney.blogspot.com/

Mel Chesley said...

Hehe! Yes, it is an awesome way to get the talking going around the table. One of us usually starts it and whoever starts tends to go last. So we take turns passing it around the table. It makes you focus on the positive rather than the negative and stimulates conversation. Usually if you have a bad day, you don't want to talk about it. This helps that! Feel free to steal the idea! ;)