Thursday, December 29, 2011

Internet Presence...


There is something pretty spectacular when you read a blog and the person is very professional, light hearted and funny at times.

No, I'm not talking about me. Professional? Me?? *Snorts*Anyway, I've come across some blogs where the people aren't anywhere near decent. If you're trying to get somewhere in the publishing industry or you are somewhere, don't be negative. All. The. Time. Seriously.

Being positive, offering up advice, sharing your experiences... those are important. Make people want to read your blog and keep reading and commenting. I've sort of stopped following or commenting on some blogs because the people are kvetching about not being accepted or how other people are being "mean" in their reviews or comments.

All. The. Time.

I know I have ranted on this blog, but I don't keep gnawing at the same bone every time I post. I do try to move on and look for the positive in things. I've worked hard to get my internet presence and I don't want to lose it by always being pissy.

I dread the day I get the bad review. I'll get more than one and I'll have to suffer through each one. I'll have to focus on the good reviews. I'll need help with it, I'm sure. I can't rise to the bait of the bad reviews. The trolls, they can be tricky and they will make me want to explode all over the internet and all over them. I'm gonna want to find their house, ring the bell and break their knee caps when they answer the door.

But I can't and I won't. No one else would. It isn't professional. Give me five minutes to whine about it and tell me to get over it. It's all good, we're cool like that.

So get out there, make your internet presence a GOOD one and put the negativity outside in the cold, without food and water, where it belongs. Follow people on Twitter, get on Facebook, blog and be positive in your blogs. Don't be a whiner. If you want people to read your work and like you, be selective about what you put out there. Yeah, you're gonna have bad days. Doesn't everyone?

So tell me, do you continue to follow people who are constantly negative or do you put them to the wayside?

6 comments:

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

As far as who I follow...hmmm...I've met nearly all the people I follow on blog hops and for the most part, everyone writes the same thing. I mean there must be twenty or more blogs I follow where people give writing advice so it's kind of all a repeat of something I read yesterday or the week before.

I haven't come across that many negative blogs. When I do, I tend to think of them as a breath of fresh air. It's someone posting something different other than another "Show, Don't Tell" post. I honestly don't know how many "Show,Don't Tell" posts I've read but it has got to be over a hundred.

As for the bad review. Yes, we will all get them. I'm kind of terrified of them as well. But meh. We gotta do something with our lives. Writing a book is as good as anything.

Unknown said...

Terrific post and something I try to heed as I do have a very cynical outlook and I think that sometimes I may get too sarcastic. But I like to think that I balance my posts enough. (crosses fingers)

Negative reviews are hard and they hurt. Because of this, it is absolutely necessary to work through it for a minute or a day. But you have to get over it and not let eat at your spirit. Otherwise, you'll never get anywhere.

Have a great new year! May all good things come your way in 2012. Thanks for supporting me and leaving such thoughtful comments.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I avoid the negative blogs. I've followed a couple and then dropped them quickly. Funny how some people are nice on their blog but act different on Twitter. That's an even more dangerous place.
And ironically, bad reviews is my Insecure Writer's Support Group post for next week!

Tasha Seegmiller said...

I'm not interested in people who are so disgruntled with their life that they have to complain about it on in the internet. Everyone has bad days, rude comments and the like. I recently just quit following a blog because it was all negativity and frustration.

Great post.

Jennie Bennett said...

I can't stand that either! I don;t need their drama :)

Mel Chesley said...

I agree, Michael. It seems like there are days of "Great Minds Think Alike" and you'll see several different versions of the same post. This is different, this is someone ranting about a specific thing and not letting it go.

Thanks Melissa! And yeah, I try not to be too snotty either, lol.

Alex, this is one of those GMTA moments!

I agree, Tasha, I'm about to leave a couple of blogs as well because of this. I tried being positive and leaving a couple of comments, but the next day they were at it again.

Agreed, J. A.! Save the drama for your mama!! lol.