Thursday, December 1, 2011

Writing Work...

It's funny. Since my announcement of signing my first book contract, I've found myself still browsing blogs with writing advice.

Do all authors still work at trying to be better? Do they work at making the next book better than the last?

Yes. They do.

At least that is my sincere hope. I would hate to think that they just keep writing and cranking out their work without giving it a second thought after getting the first one published.

I have taken a bit of a break since signing my contract. My next project is going to be a short, 10,000 word piece called "The Wicked One". It is one that I am going to self publish on Smashwords when it is done. Then back to work on revising "Veritas". In between, I have a couple of other short stories I want to expand on and put up on Smashwords as well.

I've got a friend that is willing to do artwork for me. In the meantime, is there a way to work on cover art for myself? I don't have Photoshop.

So do you still work at being a better writer or do you just let it all fall where it may?

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've read so much writing advice this year I'm almost afraid to tackle my third book!!
Still such awesome news that you have a contract, Mel.

Marny said...

There is an Open Source equivalent to Photoshop called Gimp. It has most of the same features and can do nearly everything you need for a book cover.

However, I don't know how good it is with text. Photoshop used to rasterize text if you didn't use EPS format for the files, but the last version has fixed that. I don't know if Gimp had/has the same problem. You might want to do the layout of the cover in a real page layout program. (Don't use Word! You'll go crazy and it won't look very good.) If you have an image, I can do the rest if you like.

Mel Chesley said...

Lol, Alex! I hope you tackled your third book. I have to read the first one, then the second when it comes out.

Thanks Marny! I'll try it and see what I can come up with. Otherwise, you'll be hearing from me lol!

Anonymous said...

I know I'm trying to get as much help as I can with my writing. I announced on my blog that I'm going back to school, and will be taking writing classes as well.

I think that once you reach your goals as a writer you have to work even harder to improve. Because now, you have to maintain what got you there and build on it. At least that's my opinion.

Its kind of like a football player; once you reach the NFL you have to improve on what made you great in college or you're just another Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell type draft bust.

Mel Chesley said...

Absolutely Bryan! And good for you for going back to school for writing. I was thinking of taking some online courses myself. Anything to keep improving.