Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Insecure Writer's Support Group...

It's May 1st! IWSG is in full swing and right after the A to Z challenge, too.

Well, I tell you, I'm a lot less insecure about some things as I was. For a while there, I was having some issues with my revisions on book two.

See, I think I have told you all of this before, but my husband helps me out with ideas. I love that he helps me.  But... he hi-jacked my story.

Really! I was sitting there and typing some things up and he sat down next to me. I started to read a bit of what I wrote and we got to talking and he suddenly said, "Oh! I have an idea!"

And it just went from there. Went off on a huge tangent in the writing and then had to stop him. I had to bring it back around to what I had originally written before it got so far off the beaten path that I would have written something entirely different.

Different is good, mind you, but the tangent he went on focused most on one character. His. Yep, Black Rose. He's Larry's creation. He brought him out of the dust bunny filled darkness of Dungeons & Dragons folders and handed him to me. I love Black Rose, don't get me wrong, but he does have his own story I am working on.

It was kind of difficult to revise this new bit of writing and bring it all back on track, but I think I did it. I think I tweaked it and turned it around just enough. Might be a couple more things I have to tidy up, but it should be just fine.

I suppose I need to start working on Rose's story and just let hubby have full reign that way.

So what do you do when you've gone off somewhere in your story? How do you bring it back? Or do you?

10 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sometimes we have to know when to follow those suggestions and when to stick to our original plan.

Charity Bradford said...

I agree with Alex. Sometimes those tangents take us to a richer and more unique story. It all depends on how much you liked that first story thread. ;) Good luck!

Julie Musil said...

Oh my gosh, that's so funny! My hubby has offered me lots of great ideas, thankfully. He's a natural storyteller, and for me, it's not as natural.

Glad you're back on track!

Jai said...

Your hubby is a real live Plot Bunny.

I think it is cute that he helps. I am also glad you knew when to put on the breaks. It can be hard when you get too far off track.

Mel Chesley said...

@ Alex ~ This is very true. I liked what he did in that dull spot, but could have turned out entirely different!

@ Charity ~ I liked that thread very much, but this did help it. :)

@ Julie ~ Yep, my hubby has some really good ideas. We usually can mesh them together nicely.

@ Jai ~ Plot bunny! Yes, yes he is. :D

Unknown said...

Sometimes it's useful to follow the character a little to see where they lead you, but every now and then it's good to keep them in check so they know who's boss :)

Anonymous said...

He, ...reminds me of Stephen King's suggestion that feedback should come AFTER a completed draft and not before.

Annalisa Crawford said...

I always know how I'm going to start and end my story, but the middle bit is always ripe for tangents! How great you've got the next story all ready to go :-)

Unknown said...

I have to pitch my notebook against the wall and force myself to cut it out. Sometimes a new direction does arise and I go with it, though. :)

Anonymous said...

There are times when prudence is required. Husbands are wonderful. I love mine to death. But hijacking is strictly forbidden when it comes to my writing. Nice that you have ideas for a new story from it though.