Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Insecure Writers Support Group...

Insecure Writers Support Group or IWSG is brought to you by the Ninja Captain himself, Alex J. Cavanaugh. You can find the list of other participants here.

Don't forget to sign up for my Followers Blog-stock. You can also get the details there as well.

I tell you what. I've had some good luck for the past few weeks and then of course had to get my mother lode of badness to go with it. Medical. Details need to be withheld for a bit. Bills are stacking up, but this isn't what I want to post about. It does bring up a valid insecurity, though.

Writing while stressed. Sounds like something the police could pull you over for, right?

I've had several cool opening sentences pop into my brain. I'm dying to write. However, I'm so focused on the current issues of my life, I can't focus very well on writing.

Am I the only one who has this issue?

Then my train of thought starts to skip down the razor blade path of: "How many other authors just go ahead and write their way through their stress?" "Does this make me a bad writer?" "Am I dedicated enough?"

I know I'm not alone in this. I know I can write through this if I really put my mind to it. I'm not a bad writer and I AM dedicated. But this is my insecurity for the month. It's the one at the forefront of my mind, currently, at least.

How do you work through stress? Do you wait until the crisis passes? Do you just write anyway?

13 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I can only deal with so many things at once. If your health is an issue, focus on that and don't worry.

KC said...

Sometimes I just write anyway. Whether it's any good or not has yet to bet determined. Focus on whatever you have too, the rest will filter in. :)

Charity Bradford said...

I can't write through heavy stress. My mind needs peace in order to function and "dream". That's how I really see my writing--transferring dreams to paper.

Take the time you need to get your health back together. Write when you feel the need. You'll get back to it as soon as you can handle it.

Jai said...

I think it depends on the stress. If writing is adding to the stress what's the point. You have enough without adding more.

If it helps take you out of the stress, use it to escape.

Mel Chesley said...

Thanks for the advice! And just so you don't worry, the medical issue isn't involving me, which is why I can't divulge right now. But will be able to, soon. Thanks, also, for your support. :)

Anonymous said...

Working through stress is common, plus it helps take your mind off things you can't control, and alleviates that feeling of helplessness when there's really nothing you can do anyway.

Linda King said...

I try to keep writing but if I really can't I just have a break until I feel better. No point forcing it!

Doralynn Kennedy said...

Hi, you're really not alone. I can't focus on anything either... too much life stress.

Could completely relate to this.

Loved this observation: "Writing while stressed. Sounds like something the police could pull you over for, right?" LOL.

Over from Alex's.

Julie Dao said...

Oh, Mel, I'm sorry that you've been going through a tough week. Don't be hard on yourself if you can't focus on your writing. Nothing wrong with taking a little time off, read a book or watch a favorite movie. Maybe when you get back to your manuscript, you'll find that the words flow a little easier. Sending you my best!

Unknown said...

It largely depends on what works for you. Writing through the stress might only increase the stress, so it might be better to step away until the other things are dealt with.

I hope the medical issues aren't too bad and that they're sorted soon :)

Annalisa Crawford said...

I use my stress as a springboard for themes and ideas. Stress about doing all the housework while no one else was bothering provided a great starting point. It can also help you forget the stress. But everyone will handle it differently.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Mel.

You are certainly NOT alone in this. We are creative beings and our surroundings affect our ability to create.

If we are stressed to an unnatural level for US, then it WILL cause us to withdraw from our creative muse.

Each level is different for all of us. I do well with a good amount of stress, but if I fall into a dark zone, then I can't produce anything, However I do find that commenting on blogs, READING blogger friends' work, and helping other bloggers with a crit or writng an intro for their book, helps me get back into my own writing.

Take a deep breath and let your feelings ride the wave. Once you make it to shore, you will be writing for yourself again.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Sometimes I need to just stress first. There's no going around it. Once I've got it out of my system, then I can make an attempt to write through it. It doesn't always happen instantly, or easily.