Thursday, October 31, 2013

Good And Bad All Over...

Hmm. I sort of had a bit of a low point.

As much as I like to say that bad reviews really won't bother me, that they'll just roll like water off a duck's back...

They sort of sting.

No worries, I'm not really letting it get to me. I am looking over what is being said, and taking it all into consideration.

I tried something new in fantasy, and, well, you either love it or you hate it. Experiment done. "Mischief managed". On to the next book.

So while I am sort of sad when people don't like my book, I have a slight confession to make. I've put some of you, yes, you, up on a pedestal. Yes, my author buddies, I've sort of raised you all up in my mind, and had a slight moment of Hero Worship.

*Gasp!*

I still worship you all, don't worry. But, I did go read some of your one- and two-star reviews. Is that mean? Is that like, "Mean Girl-ish"? Catty?

Rawrrr...

No, it really just helped me put things into perspective. Not every reader out there is going to love everything they read. I do book reviews, for pity's sake. I know how hard it is to give those one, two and even three star reviews. I don't like saying I don't like a book. It's no fair to the author, but how else are you going to help the author learn and grow?

For those of you who have more than one book under your belt, I did see how the reviews got better with each book written. So there is hope for me.

Thanks for putting up with my slightly self pity party. This would have been a better post for IWSG, but I couldn't wait.

7 comments:

Cheri Chesley said...

Every writer handles bad reviews differently. Some I know just ignore them. I skim them for constructive help--I know I'm not the best writer and if someone is willing to help me get better I'm willing to listen.

And some reviewers are just trolls. They post lies about how the story ends and say they hated it and blah blah blah. I've seen it on my books and others' books all over Amazon.

Just remember the internet brings out our true selves. And some of the true selves out there are pretty ugly...

ELAdams said...

I know exactly how you feel - I'm midway through a review tour right now, and it's been pretty nerve-wracking! I do read my reviews, partly because things are always worse in my head than in reality and sometimes it's easier just to face it head-on! But I also see what I can learn from them. I've picked up on a few things people have said that I can make sure to work on in future books.

But sometimes it does sting. You're absolutely right - reading is subjective for everyone, and each reviewer is different. I've had a few 3 star reviews, but most of those are actually really positive- some reviewers just reserve 4 and 5 stars for the books they really adore. So I'm trying to keep that in mind! :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's right, we all get them. Usually the really low ones don't offer anything helpful, so you can just write them off as the wrong reader for your book. The others you can learn from. Shake it off and keep writing!

Mel Chesley said...

@ Cheri ~ Ha! You're just biased. :D But really, you're right, our internet selves can be pretty ugly and trolls are the worst.

@ Emma ~ Best of luck to you! Yes, some of the reviews are helpful, I've had a few of those. I like getting those reviews, even if they are low ratings.

@ Alex ~ I've noticed that about the low rating ones. I even have a 4 or 5 star one where I'm wondering if the person and I are discussing the same book... Consider it shaken. :)

Misha Gerrick said...

Yeah no writer can please everyone. So I can see why reading some good authors' negative reviews can put things into perspective. :-)

dolorah said...

Its good to learn something from a review. I've written too many lately, and I know when I do nothing but read to get a review up I'm more cynical about what I like. I've given a couple 4 star reviews that hurt the author's feelings.

Its never easy to write a review, even when its a great book.

.......dhole

Mel Chesley said...

@ Misha ~ Yeah, I had to take a step back from it all and realize I really don't suck. :D

@ Donna ~ I get burned out reading for reviews only. Makes me not want to review, but I do like to help out. But I'd rather have a review that is helpful, not just negative and hurtful.