Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Insecure Writer's Support Group...

Wow! I almost forgot to post today. Actually, I did forget until I got a comment about it.

No, I saw all the reminders, but my poor brain. I swear I have short term memory loss if I don't write it down or repeat it a dozen times.

So what's my insecurity? Getting back into my routine.

The move from Alaska to Washington was supposed to be a fun one. It was supposed to be good for me and hubby, but the drive through Canada, well, to be honest, entering Canada, became a nightmare. Once we got through, we were so stressed, it took away a lot of the fun.

Prior to the move, I wasn't focused much on anything other than moving. We all know how that goes. But I fell out of my routine of reading blogs, commenting, getting on Twitter at least once a day to promo my book.

After the move, right when I was going to get into the swing of things, another bump. My publisher closed her doors. So that was a mad scramble to get things back up online so I wouldn't miss out on any sales.

It's been difficult to get back into this routine. Making a habit is supposed to be easier than breaking one. So, while I am trying to create a "new habit" of my old routine, I'm breaking the "old habit" of getting out of my rut.

My advice? Just keep doing it. So while this post is a little late, better late than never. Good to see you all again!

Insecure Writer's Support Group is brought to you by Alex J. Cavanaugh, the Ninja Captain himself. Check out all the other participants here.

12 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You had a lot of disruptions, so don't be too hard on yourself. Now you can get back into the swing of things!

Doreen McGettigan said...

I am so glad I am not alone in this rut!
I almost for got to post today too.
You are so right I suppose we just have to keep going until we catch up.
That is awful about your publisher I hope you are getting that all worked out.
doreenmcgettigan.com

Crystal Collier said...

Yikes! That's quite the eventful, uh, upset there. Are you quite certain you shouldn't write a book about your transition? ;)

Here's a virtual wedge of cheese to help guide you back into the realms of routine. Use it well.

Chrys Fey said...

When life gets in the way our writing and social media (blogging) takes a hit, but that's normal. We all understand, and most of us have been there. Keep trying, keep working and you'll be back into the swing of things. Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

I almost forgot about today as well. I've been really stressed out of late with my own life transitions, but just knowing that other people are going through their own problems and their own transitions gives me more confidence. I hope you find your new routine. Good luck!

-James.

Mel Chesley said...

Thanks for the encouraging words, everyone! And yeah, we're totally not alone in the things we go through. I'll be around a little later leaving my own comments of support. :D

Unknown said...

Moving is always stressful, add further disruptions to that and it becomes a nightmare. I've moved a fair amount (though thankfully the last two moves where within the same city) and I shudder to think of the next time I need to pack a box...

Don't worry too much about settling in, just go with the flow and you'll be back in the thick of it in no time.

All the best,

Tessa

The Book Bunnies
or
Tessa's Blurb

Sanderella said...

Things will smooth out once you get all settled in as moving and all the little things that go with it can disrupt us for sure...but soon things will be smooth sailing once again! www.sandysanderellasmusings.blogspot.com

J.H. Moncrieff said...

Sorry about your issues entering my country! The border cops can be a real drag.

I find it insanely hard to get back into a routine once I've fallen out of it. I can really relate--I'm going through this right now.

But try not to be too hard on yourself. Moving is insanely stressful, and it takes time to adjust to a new place. You'll hit your stride in time. :)

Anonymous said...

Funny . . . almost forgot to post too! I wrote it a few days early for a change and then just plain forgot about it! Good to "see" you too :-)

Unknown said...

With all the changes in your life it is not surprising that you need to establish new habits. Good luck!

Arlee Bird said...

My summer vacations really played havoc with my routine so I know how that can be. I'm still trying to catch up with everything.

And tell me about that memory thing. Ugh!

Lee
A Faraway View