Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A Reminder To New Authors...

First of all, let me just say, don't act like you're big man on campus. Or girl. Depending. I'm saying this, because recently I came across a situation where someone was asking for help.

Now, you all KNOW me. I like to help, especially when it concerns FANTASY or better yet, WORLD BUILDING!

Duh.

I have a bad habit of telling people, "Hey, you can go here for this, this and this..." and then I offer up the solution to whatever issue they've got. I can't help it. I do offer up the link for them to maybe bookmark later on if they don't have the time right then and there to go check it out.

I was told I was redundant for doing that.

Um. Okaaaay...

Not even a thank you. Even if my advice/help did NOT help them, they could have at least said, "Thanks, but that isn't what I'm looking for." Right? Am I being too picky about this? What. The. Hell? Not only that, but I had just joined this group and was just trying to show I can be helpful. I totally felt like it was a slap in the face. Kind of hard not to.

So needless to say, I'm ignoring any more posts from that certain individual.

What do you think? Have you ever been chastised for your help? What do you do? Or say?

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry that person wasn't grateful. You were just trying to help.

Gina Gao said...

I'm sorry to hear that. Some people just need a lesson on manners.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Jai said...

That blows that they were so rude. I really appreciate all the help I can get trying to navigate the waters that is learning the craft of writing.

Unknown said...

That should set off warning bells immediately to everyone who's thinking of working with that person. If that's their attitude to someone offering help, then gods help them when they get their first negative review (and it will come).

I'll keep an eye out for the argument-ridden post that will eventually go viral when they do get there :)

Mel Chesley said...

I know, right, Jamie? lol! I've ranted about it and now I'm over it. I just avoid any topics started by the person. It's easier that way. Life's too short to deal with jerks.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Ooo what an example that person is of very bad online manners. And someone I'd ignore too from then on. Life is too short and the Internet is too full of awesome people to try and communicate with the buffoons.

Juli D. Revezzo said...

I'm sorry to hear that, Mel. You are *not* redundant! Offering up the link is polite. *nodsnods* It's very helpful and I for one appreciate it. Keep up the good work, my friend! :)