Thursday, May 16, 2013

Looking For Your Opinion...

Hey all! Hope your week is going well so far. I bet you're all looking forward to the funnies tomorrow, right? Of course you are!

Okay, so I need some help. I'd like to do a poll on audio books, so I'm going to ask two questions here and then I'd highly appreciate it if you would leave your answers in the comment section. Pretty, pretty please!

Send people over to this post as well, if you wouldn't mind. I need some answers.

I'm currently working on the audio-book for 'Adversarius'. Once I have it done, I'll release it. When book two is complete and ready for release, I hope to have an audio-book ready right away for that.

So here is my first question:

Do you listen to audiobooks?

Second question:

Should you include sound effects and/or music in the background? (Not through the whole book, just in certain sections. I'm thinking a little bit of music near the end and beginning of chapters.)

I'm going to be getting some audio-books soon to listen to in order to research this thoroughly, but would like to hear from all of you as well! Your input is very important to me. So thank you for helping me out and have a fantastic day!

10 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've listened to them in the past.
Best people to ask are Elizabeth Spann Craig and Roland Yeomans, both of whom have recorded audio books this year.

Annalisa Crawford said...

I'm sorry, I've never listened to them, so I don't know what goes on. My lack of concentration means I'd drift off when listening to a novel in a way I wouldn't do when reading them :-)

Mel Chesley said...

Thanks for that, Alex. And I feel the same way, Annalisa!

AE Marling said...

Audiobooks are a story lifeline for my ears. I listen to them in situations where I could never read (safely), and they're the future and past of storytelling.

The music to begin an audiobook seems unnecessary to me, but it's a convention, and if we don't follow it as Indie authors we might be judged.

Mel Chesley said...

This is very true, A. E. I've been listening to some sample audiobooks, but I will eventually have to purchase some to get a broader perspective.

Anonymous said...

I am so in my head thinking that it's hard for me to concentrate on audio books, especially when I'm driving. On a recent trip, I enjoyed listening when I was a passenger. I listened to the whole Eragon series as audio. Audio books are great for projects around the house like painting. I still prefer the printed word, though. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure about music. I've been conditioned to think music means the end of the book. But I'm re-programmable. :)

Anonymous said...

The only audio books I've ever listened to were the Harry Potter books, which I loved, but that was probably more to do with the fact it was Stephen Fry narrating.

Mel Chesley said...

Okay, end of the book music. Cool! Thanks, Tara.

Stephen Fry! Woot! I'd love to hear those.

Unknown said...

I've not listened to audiobooks beyond short stories spoken on a podcast, so there's not much input I can bring to the table. I like the idea of subtle music and sound effects though, if it enhances the overall experience.