Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Drawbacks Of Unemployment...

I tell you what. Being home again is messing with my ability to keep track of days. It just dawned on me that this is Wednesday and I should have a post up!!

Egads.

I should work on my Friday post after this. Possibly.

Procrastination has been my buddy this week. I've got all sorts of writing ideas and I have spent a good part of the week jotting these ideas down. However, when it comes to writing a blog post or even revising book two, I'm at a loss. I sit and stare at the computer screen blankly.

Usually, I have LOTS to say on my blog posts. So much so, that I have to make sure to keep an eye on my word count so as not to bore you all to death.

I don't bore you, do I? *Listens to loud snoring* Yeah, all right.

In light of the story ideas I've had, I have been doing some research. I'm asking on Facebook, so I will ask here as well.

What issues do teens face most these days? At home? At school? I remember what it was like being a teenager and I know what my kids went through in school. I just want to keep up to date with it a bit.

I'll take the perspective of the parents as well. What issues do you face with your teens?

Thank you all in advance for your comments. Have  a great rest of the week!

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Crap, I don't have kids, so no idea. Things that we never faced at that age, that's for sure.

Mel Chesley said...

Totally agree, Alex.

dolorah said...

I spent about three hours last night in a texting argument with my nearly 15 year old son last night about why marijuana is wrong. (Don't laugh at the texting, beats a f2f verbal argument anyday as each gets to have their say.) Anyway, he is adamant that there is no reason for him to stop smoking pot, my sole argument is "its illegal for you." Maybe its just my area, but it seems all kids are smoking pot these days, and they get it from school friends. Not pushers, though; from kids whose parents or other family members have 215 cards (prescription to purchase, smoke and grow medical marijuana).

One of the other issues my son faces is boredom. That sounds pretty normal; but consider that just about all kids have cell phones, smart phones, internet, computers, video games. They spend a lot of time in front of glowing screens that have at least a monthly expense for parent. Difficult to earn allowance from chores when all the entertainment is consistently paid for. And with the prevalence of unemployment, who has money to spend on movies or other activities that are now super expensive. (I took 3 boys to a Sunday matinee and spent $60 for the afternoon.)

Teens are having sex younger, doing drugs younger, and with so much handed to them, they have entitlement issues.

......dhole

Mel Chesley said...

Hey, I'm all for a text argument. Face to face means both parties are vying for their moment to speak and half the time get railroaded. Thanks for this, Donna. I appreciate it. Good luck with your kiddo. Boredom seems to be running rampant, even in large cities. Sitting in front of a computer at home or texting from the comfort of your own home is about all most kids can do because of money issues. Even if they have money, they get bored easily. Tough to be a kid, but tough to be a parent these days too.

Unknown said...

Social media plays a very big part in a lot of teen's problems nowadays. With Facebook you feel forced to have people you don't like as 'friends', even if those same people are hurling abuse at you online. It's a very odd tightrope they have to walk that people even as recent as 10 years ago didn't have to face.