Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Book Review: The Curse Merchant by J. P. Sloan...

Title: The Curse Merchant

Author: J. P. Sloan

Publisher: Curiosity Quills Press

File Size/Book Length: 1716kb/256 pages

ASIN: B00NLFAYCA

Purchase: Amazon, Barnes & Noble (This book was free for a time on Amazon, which is where I got my copy.)


About:

Dorian Lake spent years cornering the Baltimore hex-crafting market, using his skills at the hermetic arts to exact karmic justice for those whom the system has failed.

He keeps his magic clean and free of soul-corrupting Netherwork, thus avoiding both the karmic blow-back of his practice and the notice of the Presidium, a powerful cabal of practitioners that polices the esoteric arts in America. However, when an unscrupulous Netherworker interferes with both his business and his personal life, Dorian’s disarming charisma and hermetic savvy may not be enough to keep his soul out of jeopardy.

His rival, a soul monger named Neil Osterhaus, wouldn’t be such a problem were it not for Carmen, Dorian’s captivating ex-lover. After two years’ absence Carmen arrives at Dorian’s doorstep with a problem: she sold her soul to Osterhaus, and has only two weeks to buy it back. Hoping to win back Carmen’s affections, Dorian must find a replacement soul without tainting his own.

As Dorian descends into the shadows of Baltimore’s underworld, he must decide how low he is willing to stoop in order to save Carmen from eternal damnation… with the Presidium watching, waiting for him to cross the line.

My Thoughts:

Okay, let me just say first of all, that my track record with getting free e-book listings from BookBub has not been the greatest. In fact, 90% of those books need a good editing job, or just need to be recycled.

With that being said, "The Curse Merchant" was NOT one of those books. Holy cow, I got sucked into this book from the start and didn't want to put it down.

Dorian Lake has the exact amount of snark and sarcasm that I love in characters. This book was dark, witty, funny as hell at times. Other times it made me feel something for the characters. I like when I can connect to a character(s)! Makes you feel like part of the story. That's good writing!

Dorian was a great character. I can't wait to read more. The other characters in this story were just as developed as Dorian and near the end, all I have to say is, Karma. You get what you deserve, especially if you ... well, I don't want to do spoilers in this review, so I will leave it at that. If you are looking for a good paranormal read, I highly suggest this! I'd give it more than 5 stars if it was allowed.

My Rating:

Totally 5 out of 5 Skull and Crossbones!

No comments: