Monday, April 5, 2010

When in Doubt...

Oooh, I bet you didn't see that one coming did you? Heh, I'm stealthy that way.

So D in the Blogging from A-Z challenge... first of all, I want to give a shout out to Box o' Whine.

Your blog is not ugly or lame, it's the Blogger thing that is not allowing us to comment that is lame. It needs to be dragged (look a D!) out into the street and shot. (Not a D) I tried several times to comment. It will get fixed!

Ok so back to D. D is for Doubt. As writers, I know you all have them! I do. But not just my "Writer" persona has doubts. I have doubts as a mother, a daughter, a sister and friend. Sometimes I have doubts as a wife.

As a writer: I doubt I am good enough and always second guess my story ideas. I can't help it.


As a mother: I have doubts as to whether or not I'm a good parent, that my kids will turn out okay and be productive members of society. Since this could take all day, I'll stop there.

As a friend, sister or daughter, I often wonder if I am being the best person I can be. I help out my friends when I can. I don't communicate with my sister as often as I should, but I do talk to my mom a lot.

My husband is an absolute treasure. I don't know if I can brag about him enough. But there are times I am in doubt. Do I give him enough attention? Things of that nature. I swear I won't stray into the TMI zone, k? K.

Moving on to another D... my daughter. She's great. Her prom was Saturday and I got to do her hair. ::Sighs:: She's growing up so fast. This was her Jr. prom. Next year she graduates. I don't know if my poor heart can take it.

This concludes today's blog, brought to you by the letter D. And keeping that in mind, a favorite movie starting with D would be Dogma. :D Love it.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah yes. Doubt. I know it well. Great post.

Jessica Bell said...

Oh dear. I too doubt myself way too much. As a writer, I doubt myself every day. I sometimes wonder if it's really worth all the effort, despite trying to convince myself every day that it is. Maybe I'm not good enough?

And even so, I know that no matter what happens I will still end up loving it and doing it forever - and then I doubt why I love it. Am I kidding myself? Am I spending all this time in front of my computer, sacrificing time away from loved ones all for nothing?

I also doubt that I will be a good mother. I am not one yet, but would love to be, but wonder whether I'm cut out for it.

Yes, it's hard. Doubt floats above my head like static hair.

Raquel Byrnes said...

Second guessing is my cryptonite! I hear you...doubt makes writing so much harder. Where's the balance between a critical eye toward improving my craft and doubting myself out of habit? Still looking for that line...let me know if you see it.

Mel Chesley said...

I worried so much if I would be a good mom. Then I just treated my kids like intelligent little people, explained things in ways I knew they would understand, was there for them.

Once you get past that doubt, you'll be fine. Sometimes, though, I think doubt is good. It keeps us from getting to comfortable and possibly messing something up. Keeps us on our toes.

And I will be sure to keep a weather eye out for that line to be sure, Raquel.

B. Miller said...

Oh yeah. Doubt is a huge issue for writers. I'm close to being done with the first draft of the MS and I STILL doubt myself, sometimes.

Work through it! You can do it!

Arlee Bird said...

If there is anybody in the world that doesn't have doubt at some time in their life, they need to put away so that the rest of us are safe. Doubt is pretty normal, but allowing doubt to keep you from doing something you really want to be doing in your life is a talent killer.

Lee
Blogging From A to Z April Challenge

Mel Chesley said...

Very true. I refuse to let it kill my talent, though.

Beth Zimmerman said...

Doubt and I are close companions though it's never evolved to friendship! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm always doubting myself and I get told for it. But its so hard to stop! :o)

LARCHMONT said...

I think it's good to have a healthy amount of self-doubt. It means you (we) care, right? It means that we're invested, and we're trying, and we want to do better, always. I'm usually chilled to the bone by people who have no doubts, ever. They are Stepford-ish and scary. They have no vulnerability. I can tell you're a good mother/wife/writer because you doubt--which means you care. I often have doubts--and I like myself for having them. Great post!

Mel Chesley said...

Thank you Samuel. I appreciate your comment. :D

Niki, I know how you feel!

Chryifiwant2 said...

Thanks for the shout out...I kicked Blogger's ass in the end. I knew I would (no doubt here!).

I'm behind in my blog reading, but a couple of quick things: I also love Dogma; and ICP has a yearly concert type thingy near here at Cave-in-Rock, I think it's called The Gathering. Have you ever been? Also, looking forward to "F"!