Monday, June 7, 2010

Ah Summertime...

So the days have been decent. There hasn't been a whole lot of rain. Which is nice. Apparently lots of you are having Blogger issues. That's all right, I haven't been on much.

I have been mulling over my "Crowning Absolution" WIP and wondering just how to end it. Then I showed my son my map and got to chatting with him, because he read the first book I had published about half-way through. He was pretty familiar with the characters by that point so he offered up a way to possibly end it. I absolutely love it! I'll have to work it in somehow. But I don't want to tell anyone and give it away!!

I think that's the hardest part of writing. I've got all these cool ideas and I can sit and chat with people who know my characters and tell them, "Yeah, I have this and this going on with so and so. Later, someone is going to do this and that and the other..." But to put that all out in the Blogosphere??? Are you mad??

I don't like being a paranoid writer. I don't want someone just coming along and taking my stuff. But I hate when I get all these cool ideas, look around for someone to talk to and I'm all alone. Does that ever frustrate you? Don't you wish you could sit down with a bunch of other authors and just go on for hours about what you are working on and what they're working on and understand it all?

I know my husband gets as excited about it all as I do. Half the time, if I hit a wall with something, he's right there to offer up several possible solutions because he knows the world just as well as I do.

So what do you do when you have all this exciting stuff to tell people? Who do you talk to and where do you go with it?

5 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

We had a few days of brilliant sunshine but alas the English weather decided the gardens needed watering via means of rain, rain and more rain.

Have a good day.
Yvonne.

Jamie Gibbs said...

Quite often, my problem is that I tell people too much about my ideas, so much so that I have little left with which to write. Lately I've been doing my best to keep my fiction ideas under wraps in order to motivate me to write about them as my way of 'getting them out there'.

An idea might be to keep the initial exciting idea to yourself so you can focus it all in your writing, but then talk about/blog about areas and subjects that relate to that original idea. That way you'll expand on your world, it's history and culture, your characters, and you'll generate further interest in your story.

For example, say your protagonist has a chance encounter with another character from a different culture, one that alters the course of the story and changes the protagonist as a person. What you could do is write up about the cultural history of this second person, and how this cultural identity leads the character to have such a profound impact upon the protagonist after they meet in the story proper. You can release this bit of back story into the wild and you won't have to worry too much about it because it isn't part of your main story.

.... I hope that all made sense...

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I have a couple test readers I bounce ideas off of and their suggestions really help. I guess bouncing ideas off other authors are what writing groups are for, but I've never been a part of one.

Are you enjoying time with your son and mother?

Mel Chesley said...

Made perfect sense, Jaime. :D

And yes, I am enjoying them immensely! We're getting ready to get him a temp fishing license so we can head out on a boat and do some halibut fishing. Mmmmm!!

Beth Zimmerman said...

I'm glad you can talk about it with your family. It would be hard to have no one to share your thoughts and plans with.