Thursday, July 12, 2012

Writing Life...

I'm currently in the middle of reading 'Sometimes the Magic Works' by Terry Brooks. I have been trying to read books on writing, always improving my craft, you know.

As I am reading, though, I'm thinking... "Wow, if I were to ever write a book on my writing life, I wouldn't be able to."

Why?

Because I would feel like I am plagiarizing Mr. Brooks. Everything he has said in his book so far is exactly what I would say and how I feel. For those of you who have read this book, you sort of know what I mean. For those of you who have not read it, I'll give you a couple of examples.

First, let me link back to this post I did the other day: here. It talks about the difference between an author and a writer. This is exactly how I feel about it all.

I also like how Terry Brooks talks about writers living in two worlds. Here I thought I just had some major ADD because I will space out conversations, especially while people are talking directly to me. I'll suddenly have a flash of insight and start thinking of my writing world.

'Writers live in two worlds. The real world and the one they're writing about.' How true is this statement for you, as a writer? Just like in his book on writing, I always find myself in situations where I observe and use either the situation or the people in my writing.

I used to love going to the mall and just 'people watch'. I've learned so much from examining human behavior in my life that I can pretty much pinpoint personality traits in the space of a heartbeat. And I capitalize on this in creating my characters. Character creation is so super simple for me because of this. I can usually watch people and tell when they're lying. I used to love watching the show, 'Lie To Me' because I saw what the character saw. Maybe not right away or as quickly, but I could spot it. I also know the types of people I will be able to get along with in the long run and who I need to avoid.

I'm sure I'll be posting more as I continue to read this book. It is one of the best books by a fantasy author I've found. I know how he feels, I know of what he speaks! I feel the same way.

Do you feel like you live in two different worlds? What book on writing do you feel you have connected to the author? Have a great rest of the week!

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I have it, just haven't had time to read it.

Allison Barron said...

Ah, that is one of my favourite books on writing. It is full of great advice from an author I love. I also really enjoyed How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy by Orson Scott Card.

Allison (Geek Banter)

Mel Chesley said...

You should read it Alex, I think you'll like it.

I'll have to look that one up, Allison. Thanks for posting that!

Unknown said...

I've still not really read any books on writing. I flicked through Scott Card's SFF writing book but it was more geared to sci fi. I should fix this.

randi lee said...

I'm absolutely living in two worlds. My job turns me into one person, my writing turns me into the exact opposite of that person.

My favorite book on writing is "Revisions and Self-Editing" by James Scott Bell. Mr. Bell has a way of thinking the way I would. (Or I have a way of thinking the way he would...) It's a great book. I'd recommend it to anyone!