Thursday, October 3, 2013

Pumping Up A Flat Character...

I've been working on revisions and such, preparing to get busy again. It occurred to me, though, that I have a rather dull character without much substance to him.

Everyone knows he's a tyrant. He's downright evil and nasty. Anyone who would try to have their own son murdered, well, he's gotta be a bad guy, right?

But what made him that way?

While working on revisions for book two, I realized: Wow, I don't know much about Mandorak Li'endrin. At least, not like I thought I did. This guy is the epitome of arrogant jackass and I don't even know much of how he got that way.

So I am working on remedying that. I've got a list of questions, and while I'm prepared from some snotty, cynical answers, I'm going to interview the heck out of him and dig deep. Maybe, just maybe, I'll make him cry.

Wish me luck!

What do you do when you discover a flat character?

1 comment:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Get a little background on him and I'm sure he'll come to life.
I usually envision something of my character's pasts. I also like to give them quirks.