Monday, April 21, 2014

R Is For Rondel...

Oh my gosh... I've been so caught up in my jewelry making these past few weeks, I'm spacing everything else! Sorry for the tardiness of some of my posts.

At any rate, let's get on with the A to Z!

Rondel
Rerebrace
Rondel - Any circular plate. Rondels protecting various areas may have particular names, such as a besagew protecting the shoulder joint. I'm sure you've read about some of these in fantasy. More often than not, Rondels will have a house sigil and they'll be attached to the shoulder, holding up a cloak.

Rerebrace - Plate that covers the section of upper arm from elbow to area covered by shoulder armour.

Rondel Dagger - Then we have the rondel dagger or roundel dagger was a type of stiff-bladed dagger in Europe in the late Middle Ages (from the 14th century onwards), used by a variety of people from merchants to knights. It was worn at the waist and might be used as a utility tool, or worn into battle or a jousting tournament as a side-arm. Rondel daggers were ideal in battle for puncturing chain mail, and although they would not have been able to punch through plate armour, they could be forced between the joints in a suit of armour and helmets. This was often the only way in which a heavily armoured knight could be killed.
Rondel Dagger
 Happy blogging to you all! I'll see you tomorrow.

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Mel, you really know your armor and weapons!

Mel Chesley said...

Haha! I don't know if that's a good thing or not, Alex. ;)