Monday, December 12, 2011

What's Worse Than A Query...

Getting endorsements!! *Gasp!*

I spent a few minutes before work yesterday looking over some blogs. As you all know, my sister-in-law, Cheri Chesley, published her first book last year with Cedar Fort.

I've been following the blog ever since. Their authors all contribute their shared knowledge and experience on the blog site. That is where I stumbled upon this little tidbit. Getting Celebrity Endorsements.

If you can brave querying, submitting or even... yes, even self publishing... do you think you have the guts to ask for an endorsement? From an author you love and admire?? Can you? Can you really!?

Yeah. You can. Silly. What did you think I was going to say? That you can't?? Pssh. You should know by now that I have absolute faith in all of you and you can do whatever you put your mind to. Especially asking for an endorsement.

So, I certainly did not mean to hijack the blog subject from Trina Boice, but I took it to heart. So I figured it might help any of you out who may be looking into something along these lines as well.

Did I email anyone? Actually, I did. Two of my most favorite (well technically three) authors/artists out there. Sorry, I couldn't get that appointment to hold a seance to contact Tolkien from the other side. Who knew mediums were so booked up this time of year?

Hope you all have a super Monday! I'll see you all later this week.

9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'll have to go check out that site! not that I'm brave enough to email anyone.

Sarah McCabe said...

Haha, it would be AWESOME to get a posthumous endorsement from Tolkien for your book.

Angela Brown said...

I hadn't thought about seeking a celebrity endorsement. I mean, I don't know why. They put their pants on one leg at a time too, but I guess it didn't really cross my mind.

This is certainly something to consider.

Thanks for mentioning this.

Janet Johnson said...

Good for you! How scary is that? Approaching people who you are in awe of? Makes me nervous just thinking about it. But they are just people, too. :)

Mel Chesley said...

Aww come on Alex! You could do it! And yeah Sarah, that would be freaking awesome. "From beyond the grave... I, J. R. R. Tolkien, endorse this book!" Haha!

Most welcome, Angela. And Janet, I think I was more nervous about contacting these people than writing the query and submitting my book! Scary, but hopefully someone will endorse it. I have a few others in mind as well, but going for some big names first.

Vicki Rocho said...

I could probably muster up the courage in an email or even snail mail letter. In person? Never in a zillion years.

Mel Chesley said...

Oi, Vicki! I think I would trip over my tongue and feel very stupid if I asked in person. At least in the email I get to edit what I say and hopefully look somewhat intelligent. lol!

Victor Olisa said...

I think I am going to look into the seance thing. I have CS Lewis on my mind. Never thought of this, but I'd try it out too.

Mel Chesley said...

Hey J. O maybe we can get a two-fer from the Medium. lol! I think I would like to have CS Lewis around as well. Who else could we scream up? No pun intended. XD