Thursday, February 16, 2012

Meet Liz...

"I find that when talking doesn't work, a nice sound thump on the head usually does the trick..." ~ Laria

Welcome to the very first character interview for my book, Adversarius, due out in May of this year! I've signed on with Hellfire Publishing and as the time whizzes by, I'm getting more and more excited.

Between now and then, I'll be doing some interviews for you of my characters and the real life people who inspired these characters.

Meet Liz.

Liz has been a great friend to me from the first time I met her in Legends of Cosrin. We have lots in common, most importantly our love of pirates! If you can't tell by the picture, that is. While I am involved in the Society for Creative Anachronism, Liz has yet to experience that large group. My persona, as I've mentioned before, is a Scottish pirate Captain named Sorcha MacGregor. Liz is my Quarter Mistress aboard my ship. That's our story and we're sticking to it!

One thing I envy about Liz is the fact that she gets to work as a Supervisor of Historical Interpretation at the Mystic Seaport. Forget envious, I'm damn jealous!!! She gets to hang out near those cool ships all the time!!! All right, I'll stop whining. Let's get to Liz, shall we?

Me: So Liz, how did you come up with the name Laria?

Liz: Laria started as a wild elf Bladesinger in a D&D game when I was 15 (yes.. 17 years ago!). The name was pretty simple.. I put an 'L' on paper and just put letters after it. :)

Me: What prompted you to make her an Elf Ranger in Cosrin?

Liz: When I came upon Cosrin it made sense to make her a ranger.. because she is so close to nature

Me: What got you into gaming?

Liz: When I was 16 my friend, John, bought me the first book in the Chronicles of the Dragonlance series and said.. "I think you'll like these". That started a life long obsession with fantasy. I adore Dragonlance. I have been reading them ever since. It is one of my great loves in life. The world is so complete, and I love the characters so much. That is what got me into gaming.. from there we started playing table top RPGs.. which is how Laria was created. I don't play tabletop anymore.. but only because I don't know anyone to play it with. I still play online.. mostly in WoW (World of Warcraft).

Me: If I lived close to you, we'd be playing tabletop, girl! Woot! What other interests do you have other than games?

Liz: My other interests? I like to read, I make jewelry, and I love spending time with my niece and nephews.

Me: If you could go back in time to any era, which would you choose?

Liz: If I could live in any other time it'd be ancient Egypt.. I'm just fascinated with it.

Thanks so much for joining me on my blog, Liz! Everyone be on the lookout next week when I interview Liz's alter ego and all around, kick-@$$ (and not to mention drop dead gorgeous) half Elf Ranger, Laria! She has some interesting views on what things would go into a cookpot and not necessarily come out edible... Have a great rest of the week!

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If she plays D&D, I'm game!
I bet you two are entertaining when you get together.

Angela Brown said...

This was such a wonderful interview. The fun pours through the words :-)

April Plummer said...

That was very cool! It was great to meet Liz! She sounds awesome, though, I don't understand the gaming world myself. LOL

Mel Chesley said...

Lol Alex! You have NO idea. We were very good at conspiring... lol!

Thanks Angela and April! This was a fun interview to do, can't wait for the next part.

Mel Chesley said...

Oh and by the way... Laria is a full Elf. Sorry about the typo, I will be correcting that in the interview post. Doh!