Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Book Review: 'Gaspar and the Fantastical Hats' by David A. Lindsey

Title: Gaspar and the Fantastical Hats

Author: David A. Lindsey

Publisher: Balmerino Publishing

Pages: 90 File Size: 265 kb

ASIN: B00BKY96KA

Purchase: Amazon



Summary from Amazon:

Life isn't easy in a cut-throat city ruled by guilds, especially for a freelance thief who refuses to swear fealty to the local thieves' guild.

Beset by thieves and threatened by assassins, Gaspar is forced into a madcap hunt for a magical artefact. Confronted by danger at every turn, he and his friend, Hubris the Spellbroker, become entangled in a bizarre web of intrigue, politics and outlandish fashion. They soon realise that they are just pawns in a greater game, but who is their real adversary and how can they disentangle themselves without ending up seriously dead?

This humorous fantasy novella (28,500 words) is a prequel to the novel, Gaspar The Thief (126,000 words), also by David A. Lindsay.

My thoughts:

 This was quite a fun read. Lots of twists and turns in such a short tale. All in the name of fashion! Gaspar seems like a fun character and I can't wait to read 'Gaspar the Thief', eventually. He seems to have lots of courage where his friend, Hubris, doesn't.
This story was a fun, fast read. Very well paced, not too slow, not too fast. You weren't overwhelmed with too  much information at once. I honestly didn't know what to expect, as I have never read anything from this author before. But I have seen Mr. Lindsey's 'tweets' on Twitter and 'Gaspar the Thief' has me captivated. So when this book came up free for a short time, I snatched it up, quick as a nimble fingered thief.
Gaspar is a pretty low key character. He isn't overly hyper, or overly confident like so many thieves can be. He's confident enough. Whenever he's faced with a situation that's not his area of expertise, he has his friend, Hubris, to rely on. The two make a great team and work well off of each other.
I found it very difficult to find a good spot to put this story down. Very well written, I liked it a lot. If you enjoy fantasy as much as I do, this author will soon become a favorite.

I give it 4 and a half out of 5 skull and crossbones.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The very silly cover caught me eye; sounds like a fun read though :)

Mel Chesley said...

It is a very fun read! And the cover is what initially caught my eye. :D