Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Writing Wednesday: Don't Fear the Reaper...

 I died. I freaking heart-stopped-stared-sightless-at-the-sky died. One minute, I'm playing beer pong on the deck at my buddy's house, the next thing I know, it collapses. There were screams for a second or two and now here I am; in some void of inky blackness.

I can see "The Light", but it isn't close. It's a pretty fair distance away. It's the only light in the place, but there are no shadows. Just black.

"Hello," a voice says close to my ear out of nowhere and I jump back with a girlish scream.

"What the hell!?" I yell and grab my chest.

"No, not Hell," the voice says. I turn around, looking for the source and a figure pulls from the surrounding blackness. "Just the point in between."

"Who are you?" I ask, looking the person up and down.

"I'm Death, Jessie. Nice to meet you."

"Death?" I look the person over. Maybe about five foot five, shoulder length brown hair. Can't make the features out as to determine if they are male or female. "I thought Death was -" They place up a hand to stop me.

"I am not skeletal, nor am I of a towering height with a black cloak and scythe. I am simply, Death."

At that moment, something snaked around my ankle and I let out yet another girlish scream. I tried to jump out of the way, but it tugged hard on my leg and I fell face first in front of Death. Death raised a hand and a glowing orb of light shot out of their palm and whatever was holding on to me screamed and let go.

"What was that?" I hollered, getting up to my feet. I jumped to stand behind Death, hoping they could protect me.

"That was something that wanted you to stay here. That's why I'm here. To guide you to where you're supposed to be. Do you see anything?"

"Well, yes," I stammered a bit. "The Light."

"Ah, very good. Well, let's get you there, shall we?" Death held out their hand and I stared at it a moment. Nothing scary, no bones protruding from a rotting sleeve. I took Death's hand and we started to walk towards the Light. I felt better, holding Death's hand. I wasn't alone, nothing was trying to eat me and the Light was getting closer. I felt good.

"So why do people think you're so bad?" I asked.

"Because everyone fears Death."

No comments: