Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Writing Wednesday...

 No short stories, this time around. Today's post is about writing, of course, and NaNoWriMo.

I'm a week in and by last Saturday, I had just over 12,000 words. You can see my little progress bar up here on the left.

That's with skipping a day due to feeling horrendously crappy. I've been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Ankylosing Spondylitis, what a word! Both of which cause over all body pain. But this last week I've had pain from head to toe, literally. The bottom of my feet hurt and my joints are so stiff and hurt when I stand or sit or move. Moving helps for a little while, then my muscles retaliate.

But I'm not here to complain, I'm here to state that all but one day in the first week of NaNo, I wrote.

It's a lesson for me, as well as anyone else out there struggling with their writing and feeling like they aren't pushing themselves enough. It didn't matter HOW MANY words I wrote. What mattered is that I WROTE.

For instance, on Saturday, I just wasn't feeling up to it, but I plugged out 944 words anyway. I used to be a pantser (still am) and now I'm becoming a plotter, but I think I like the term I found on Twitter of being a Plantser.

Suits me just fine. I know where I want my story to go, have a lot mapped out. Just have to fill in the void.

But every word I write makes that final total just a smidge larger, and over all, that is what I'm looking for. For the overall story to be written.

If you're doing NaNo, tell me how it goes! I'll cheer you on. If you're not doing NaNo, what are you currently working on?

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's right - you are writing!
Sorry those ailments make you hurt so bad.

Mel Chesley said...

Me too, Alex. But I'm good. I'm writing and so happy to be back at it!