We all have a dialogue of our own. Words we use over and over again, which probably drive friends and family crazy. Either that, or they know expect those certain words from you, like a private family joke.
I remember doing vocabulary tests in high school and having to write down the meaning of those words as well. I helped my daughter with vocabulary and now my son. I taught my daughter how to remember difficult words with a good description.
Neither she nor her teacher will ever forget how I taught her to remember 'assume'...
But aside from those words that were forced upon us to broaden our personal vocabulary, we all have our own words and slang we like to use over and over. Some are just fun to say.
This is my list of my ten most favorite words to use:
1) Dude. I swear, I say 'Dude' all the time. A habit I picked up from my brother while growing up in Tucson. I'm a child of the 80's what can I say?
2) Absolutely. I don't exactly know why I like this word. I use it a lot in customer service. I want people to know they can count on me doing my job, even if they can't count on the company. Does this make sense? I also like to use it in serious discussion.
3) Nice. I don't use this as 'That's a nice hat' or 'That was a nice gesture'. I use it in place of 'cool' more often than not. I am over 40 after all, 'cool' sounds lame. Ha. Lame.
4) Discombobulated. What a fun word to say! I like using this word rather than saying dizzy or disoriented.
5) Certainly. This is another word of reassurance I use more often than not.
6) So. I use this word far too much in writing my blog posts, but I also say it a lot. Especially when I want something. 'Soooo... do you think we can go to a movie?' or something to that effect. Never fails. Every time I begin with this word, family and friends alike know I'm going to ask for something.
7) Right. I use this word a lot. Mostly when talking to friends or family, I'll say, 'Right, right.' Habit I picked up from my best friend Tonya in high school. Hasn't gone away and it has developed a life of its own. More of my friends say it now, too.
I think that's it. I know I am supposed to go to ten words, but the last three I use the most are expletives. Lol! This is a family show though...
What words do you use a lot? Which ones annoy your family? Friends?