Friday, August 27, 2021

It's Not Easy Building Back Up...

 I have to say, I took a week off a couple weeks ago to help my mom recover after surgery. So, I didn't have much in the way of scheduled posts, because I didn't think about it. I honestly thought I'd have a moment or two to get something up.

But that's all right. In the past, I would have been stressing about "how I've let my blog readers down!!!" but that's not the case today. Life happens, things get in the way and all the careful planning you have laid out more often than not will get screwed up. 

Meh. It happens.

But I made the decision to stop writing a while ago and now I've made the decision to get back to it. And that, my friends, is going to be a lot of work. Work I am willing to do, I don't mind. I have a much different perspective these days, which is helping me a lot.

So, when I stopped writing, I'll be honest, it had a lot to do with projects I was involved in that I hoped like mad were going to help me and a few others hit the motherlode. Not so much. There's a reason why writers work solo. When you get a good group of creative minds, there's always that one. And I hit that particular jackpot twice.

Hindsight is 20/20, however. It has taken me a couple years to extricate myself from those projects and make the stories I wrote back into my own. Sadly, a couple have been lost, but I am trying to move forward.

When something like that happens, though, you have to realize that you are going to endure a period of grief. You're going to mourn the loss of your work like you'd mourn a loved one, because that story or stories, were your babies. You put your heart and soul, blood, sweat and tears into that work. Trusted it in the hands of those you thought would be kind to it. But most people are out for money and glory and they'll take anything they can get, damn the consequences of their actions. So be careful who you work with.

Personally, I have no hard feelings with most of my colleagues, just a couple in particular that put a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to working on collaborative materials.

I'm patient and confident these days that I will build my reader base back up and I will get my books back out there for the world.

No comments: