Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Writing Wednesday...

 As I get back into the swing of things, I'm trying to come up with blog posts for days of the week. At the moment, two days a week for me is good, I'll be able to add more later. Mondays, I'll try to stick to motivational things.

Wednesdays are for writing prompts and flexing my writing skills again. So here we go, I got this prompt off of Twitter from @dsuzzette:

"The streets were deserted..."


I gently parted the curtain from my second story apartment window, peering down onto the deserted street. I kept the lights off, made minimal movement to avoid being detected. It was going on sundown, and the street lights were still off, but in the distance, you could still hear the noise.

It was a strange sound, part screaming, part grinding metal. Loud screeches would accompany it every so often as well as explosions. Cars, buildings, who knew? I just decided I didn't want to know and would stand my ground for as long as possible. My friends used to tease me for being a "prepper", but it's entirely possible I'm getting the last laugh today.

Two days ago, around one in the morning, something flashed in the sky. Me, being a night owl and part-time insomniac, I watched it hit our atmosphere, begin to burn and then explode like something out of a cinematic sci-fi movie. The impact hit the surrounding buildings and high rises, followed a few seconds later with the most intense rumble and bang I've ever experienced. I could see glass shattering out of windows blocks away, then came the blast of hot air and debris. My windows remained somewhat intact, but they got rattled like a witch doctor shaking the bones.

The streets were filled, after that. People running and screaming, fleeing the city. Some cars, windows broken out, tried to inch along the crowded streets, but now sat abandoned. Most of their batteries died a few hours ago, so there was no more light. I moved away from the window and went back to checking my supplies to make sure I had enough if I had to bug out. A map took up most of my table and I had several different routes planned out in red Sharpie. Cell phone service was gone, but at least I still had a use for it and a way to charge it should an emergency arise or service became available again. There was no news on the television, just eerie silence, so it was impossible to know if it was just my city, or worldwide. I'm not the praying type, but I prayed for the former.

Something detonated outside, really close, and I paused, holding my breath. New, strange sounds were coming from the street. I moved back over to the window, noticing the sun was down now, the streets were dark. Streetlights weren't lit, so no power. I squinted through the dirty glass, watching something move down the street. One became three, then several. Crouched low, moving slowly, weaving in and out of the abandoned cars. Another explosion, a flash of orange light and whatever it was down there paused, but the light reflected off metal. A shape, an outline of something that looked like an animal with a very long tail briefly came into view. I had to let my eyes adjust to the darkness again.

As I watched, I wondered - do I stay? Do I run? Definitely have to wait to see where these things go before I just step out into the street. Movement across the way caught my eye and I saw someone moving in the building, flashlight bobbing around. I wasn't the only one who saw it, and soon, those things were circling in the street. In a flash, two of them were up the side of the building and crashing through the window with the light. I covered my ears to avoid hearing the screams, but that light moved frantically before finally flickering out.

Yep, not going to stay. I'll take my chances in the street. In the morning.


Okay, guys, that's my take on the prompt! Show me yours!

No comments: