Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Insecure Writers Support Group...

 First of all, can I just say... Holy cow! I love how big IWSG got! I've been out of it for a few years, but have kept up with it on the sidelines. But now it has SWAG! Woohoo!

Okay, so it is the first Wednesday of the month and it's time to post our insecurities or offer up help. This month's question is:

How do you define success as a writer? Is it holding your book in your hand? Having a short story published? Making a certain amount of income from your writing?


Okay, so to make a long story short, I used to be the monetary weasel and watch my sales like a hawk, then get depressed when no one bought my books. However, I learned several things from that experience.

One, it was damn hard work marketing my books! I mean, seriously. I don't think anyone ever really gets just how much work you'll have to put into it. I spent more time marketing than writing and that began to depress the hell out of me. I was (and still am) very happy to help market books by my fellow authors. But again, work, work, work and no creating made Mel a very grumpy girl. *Snarls*

Two, I'm at the point these days where I feel it is much more gratifying to just be able to hold my book in my hands. Yes, the money is a bonus, but *I* feel more successful having a book out in the world. And, if you read my Monday post, you'd know, I want my stories to connect with just one person at least.

If you're the kind of writer that wants to make a certain amount of income on your books, I wish you all the success in the world. Because we all just want to quit our day jobs, you know? But don't make that your heart and soul of why you write, because eventually, it will come out in your work. It will get to you. Don't let yourself get burned out on marketing your book. Enjoy the creativity!

All right, guys. On to the next IWSG post! Leave me a comment, I always respond!

7 comments:

John Winkelman said...

Welcome back to IWSG! I think I joined during your hiatus. Preferring connection over money seems to be a much healthier way to approach the writing process, which so very seldom pays us in proportion to the work we put into it.

And yeah, marketing sucks.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Exactly!
Welcome back to the IWSG.

chickangell said...

Thanks Mel, some great insights into the financial side of defining success as an author!

I, like you, pursued the dream of making a living from my writing and did ok too, making about $3K a month in sales. But it was so stressful and took working 80 hour weeks. I lost my love and passion for the work. Now, I am back to working a day job and working on my writing on the side and I have fallen in love with the process again. I would much rather work 60 hours a week between the two and love what I do.

Those who know me, know that I recommend a consistent balance of at least 1/3 of your writing time spent marketing, 1/3 spent writing and 1/3 spent refining/ on the business side. (For those who choose the indie route, that would be getting cover art, editors, distribution, etc. doe those choosing the trad route that would be sending out queries, participating in PitMad, etc. And for both, managing finances, networking, business planning etc.)

Fundy Blue said...

Welcome back, Mel! I love your voice and energy. I hear you on marketing, a maddening necessary evil from my point of view. Happy writing in September!

T. Powell Coltrin said...

Welcome back! Being successful is more than writing, for sure, there is a business side to go along with it.

Teresa

Mel Chesley said...

@ John Winkleman ~ Thank you! Right? The amount of work you put into writing doesn't always balance out monetarily. But to have a connection with a reader is priceless!

@ Alex ~ Thank you! <3

@ Chickangell ~ I'm glad you found your passion again. It is so easy to burnout.

@ Fundy Blue ~ Thank you very much! Happy writing to you as well!

@ T. Powerll Coltrin ~ Thank you! I agree, you have to be good at business and selling yourself to go along with the creativity. Finding the balance is the key!

Thanks for your comments, everyone!

Lori said...

At this point in my writing "career" I can't imagine thinking about the money. I do just want to "get it out in the world"

This post connected with at least one person-gave me things to think about.

Thank you!